Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Board Game Wishlist

Ah, sweet summertime. You know, the time of year when school SLPs & speech students can just sit back, relax, and forget about therapy for a few weeks. Just kidding, do we ever forget about therapy? I know I don't. My favorite part of summer (in the 4 days that I've had so far) has been planning out future therapy sessions.

A few weeks ago I found my new obsession-- going to thrift stores. Ohhh man, do I love a good deal. In the past few weeks I have accumulated more than 16 games for around $30. Make sure to show your student I.D. if you go to Goodwill because there is a good discount. Another store in my area has student discounts on Wednesdays and other great deals the other days of the week. The other day I found a brand new Apples-to-Apples Jr. game for $1.80. Love it!


I know that if I let myself, I will buy every game in the stores so I have limited myself to a list of games. I've done a lot of sleuthing online and have compiled a list of some of the best speech games out there. I also kept a list of the most-loved games at my summer practicum. My rule for myself is that I can't buy a game that isn't on the list... UNLESS I google the game name + "speech therapy" and come up with few hits on my phone. I've heard a few people say that they don't know which games to even look for so I figured I share my list. I can't guarantee each game is perfect so I'll make two lists-- one for games I own or know work well and a list of games that I haven't played but have heard good things about. So here is a list you can take with you everywhere (I have it in a note on my iPhone) so that you are always prepared :).

Own or Know  
  • Sorry
  • Don't Spill the Beans
  • Mouse Match
  • Scrabbled Eggs
  • I Spy-Eagle Eye (or any I Spy game)
  • Let's Go Fishing
  • Hullabaloo
  • Leap-in-Line
  • Cariboo (If you find this game, BUY IT)
  • Outburst
  • Blurt (LOVE this game)
  • Cadoo
  • Jenga
  • Hanging Around-- Monkeys
  • War
  • Candy Land
  • Don't Break the Ice
  • Operation
  • Guess Who
  • Apples to Apples Jr. 
  • Barnyard Bingo
  • Dudley Dino Dinner
  • Kerplunk
  • Monkeying Around
  • Pop Up Pirate
  • Hi-Ho Cherry- O
  • Twister
  • Crocodile Dentist
  • Memory
  • Buckaroo
  • Chutes & Ladders
  • Zingo
  • Whoonu
  • Balloon Lagoon
  • Operation
  • Conga
  • Cootie
  • What's In Ned's Head
  • Buckaroo
  • Taboo Jr. 
Games I Still Want
  • Hedbanz
  • Bafflegab
  • Funglish
  • Rory's Cubes
  • Aggravation
  • Oodles of Doodles
  • Password Jr.
  • Spot-It
  • Funny Bunny
  • Pop the Pig
  • Battling Tops
  • Don't Wake Up Daddy
  • Dignity Dog
  • Go for the Dough
  • Guess Where
  • Buzz Blast
  • Who Am I?
  • Storymatic Kids
  • Feed the Woozle
  • Sound It Found It
  • Elefun
  • Don't Say It
  • In a Pickle
  • Funny Bunny

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a list of games! I'm interested i how you'll use some of them in therapy :) The kids shouldn't be bored, at least! haha.
    If you'd like to partake in it, I nominated you for a Liebster Award. You can check it out here: http://lookwhoslp.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-nomination.html Hope your summer is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list! May I also suggest Ned's Head (boys especially love this one). Oh and lots of the Orchard Toys brand of games are really good.

    ReplyDelete