Friday, September 14, 2012

Finally doing "speechie" things!

So... I am pretty bad at keeping this updated. Grad school has been a little bit overwhelming (papers, lesson planning, studying, researching, TAing, socializing, oh my!) and so writing this blog is at the bottom of my priority list. Especially because I am the only person that reads it and, who am I kidding, I don't need another thing to read!

Anyway, I've been in school for five weeks and it has flown by. I'm loving it but every day I get more and more excited to become a real live SLP. Thankfully we are starting with clients next week. Since there are a lot of privacy restrictions, I cannot share much about my clients but I will try to post general parts of my lessons and experiences.

I'm excited because I have two great placements this semester. First, I get to work with a kiddo in the university clinic. Let's call this child "Roo." It is very exciting since Roo is an individual client that I get to work with one-on-one. Most of the lessons this semester are going to be focused on school-based skills like spelling, story structure, expressive writing, morphemes, etc. I love being back into the lesson planning mode and hope that Roo likes all the planning that I have done!

My second placement is at a skilled nursing facility (SNF). I'll be working with three other SLP students and we'll be leading an aphasia/dementia group. It is completely different than anything I've ever done so I am ready to get started and see what it is all about.

My goal is to upload worksheets, activities, and resources that I use so that I can share it with others and also document it for my future SLP self. Hopefully I'll stay on top of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment