Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Articulation Jenga

There are quite a few articulation Jenga activities floating around the web so mine is just one of many. I have an older client working on articulation so I wanted to bring in a game that he would actually enjoy. I thought Jenga would be fun but I didn't own the game. After class yesterday I searched through the closest thrift stores but couldn't find any cheap versions. I was pretty close to giving up and then saw a Jenga set on the top shelf hidden behind Trivial Pursuit. Unfortunately, this was the version:

Yep... dirty, dirty Truth or Dare Jenga
I thought Truth & Dare Jenga would be just a little inappropriate for my speech kids but I wasn't about to pay $12 for a new Jenga set. This ratty, tatty, old Truth & Dare set was too good to pass up at $2. The blocks are really pretty shocking though. Here is a taste:
 
No wonder it was at a thrift store...
When I got home I thought I would just write articulation words on pieces of paper and stick them on the blocks but then realized that would be a lot of work for just one client. I pulled out my laminator that has been hidden in my closet for 6 months and decided that it would finally be put to work. I laminated white pieces of paper to fit the blocks and taped them on. This way, I can reuse the blocks over and over by just using white board markers: 

The finished blocks
Luckily about 1/3 of the blocks were just plain wood with no writing so I left those alone. When we play, I will say those are freebies. Also, I figure that if I ever need to use Jenga with the kiddos that can't read yet I will just use different colors for the blocks and have the colors correspond to the articulation cards. I'm pretty happy with my $2 thrift store game. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a great idea to use a laminator to essentially create "dry erase" jenga blocks! GENIUS! I've been trying to think of a non-permante and cost effective way to do this. This is so helpful. I thought I was going to have to cut out little minimally paired words and tape them all to the blocks and then with another client remove them all and place his targeted words. Ahh life just got a lot less stressful. Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that I could help your life be less stressful! Thank you so much for your feedback :) it is so great knowing that someone read my post!

      Delete
  2. Great idea!I'm am going to use your idea for a word finding game with my children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! To save myself time, I may just write numbers on the blocks, and that will be the number of times the student has to say the target word. That way I can use it with a group of kids who are working on different sounds. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could use the numbers for expressive language activities also, such as each number corresponding to a conjunction or preposition to use in a sentence. The possibilities are endless! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete